Thursday, November 12, 2009

The Honor of being Dishonored

Acts 5:40-42(the Message) That convinced them. They called the apostles back in. After giving them a thorough whipping, they warned them not to speak in Jesus' name and sent them off. The apostles went out of the High Council overjoyed because they had been given the honor of being dishonored on account of the Name. Every day they were in the Temple and homes, teaching and preaching Christ Jesus, not letting up for a minute.

As I was reading Acts 5:29-42 the other day, I was struck with the words in verse 41 - “overjoyed because they had been given the honor of being dishonored on account of the Name.” Have I ever felt dishonored? What does dishonor mean to me? Definition of dishonor in Merriam Webster dictionary is the lack or loss of honor or reputation; the state of one who has lost honor or prestige: shame; a cause of disgrace.

I know that my name has been dishonored in the past by people’s words, but has it really caused me disgrace? As a perfectionist and a person who doesn’t take risks, I have shielded myself from many situations where I could have stepped forward and put myself in harms way, but instead did not take a bold stand to open myself up for dishonor. Then the really hard question hit me, I have protected my name as much as possible, have I ever been dishonored because of Christ? After pondering this, I am truly heartbroken. My stand for Christ has not been a strong and bold one. I have many times failed to speak His name in situations where my reputation could have been in jeopardy. Oh how that hurts to say. In this story, the apostles had been jailed, whipped, threatened and they were OVERJOYED because they were dishonored for Jesus. The situations I have encountered in the past would not have caused me to be jailed, whipped or threatened; only my reputation was at stake. Where is my courage? Where is my belief in my heavenly Father?

Have you allowed yourself to be dishonored because of His Name? If your heart aches like mine at the answer, I ask you to join me as I cry out, Lord, change me, make me bold for you, give me the heart of your apostles so that I am willing and overjoyed to be dishonored for your Name!!

No comments: