Sunday, October 4, 2009

Limitations

The other night, Tyrell brought home a slip of paper from school about a cross county run for the elementary kids at Fairfield High School. This is a chance for elementary kids to get a taste of running one mile with the high school coaches. As he handed me the paper, Ty said “mom, I want to run this race with Bryson. The top 10 get medals and everyone gets a ribbon.” I thought this was really cool that Ty wanted to run with his brother, but I thought to myself, “does Ty understand Bryson’s limitations?” So I commented back to him that we should see if Trent and Tucker want to participate. Ty responded back quickly with “why not just with Bryson?” So I stated the obvious, I thought, to Ty by reminding him that Bryson would have a hard time running and finishing. Ty answered “that is ok, I don’t have to get a medal, and we would still get a ribbon.” Sacrifice and love all came gushing out of my sweet sensitive 9 year old son. He was willing to sacrifice a chance at a medal to run with his brother. Ty’s heart wanted to see his brother succeed. I think that Ty understands the fact that it really isn’t about winning, it is all about participating and finishing the race.
Bryson’s drive and determination for winning, really drives me crazy, because I see that he has so many limitations that will prevent him in so many areas of life to win. But as I think about this situation through Ty’s words, it probably really isn’t about winning to Bryson either; it is about having a passion and desire to do something. Maybe it is about looking past the obvious handicaps and hurdles and saying and believing “I am able to do this” and “I am important enough!”
Wow, how God teaches me through my children. As I look at myself, I see all my limitations, my insecurities, I see how I have let my thoughts and perspectives about myself handicap me and restrict my movement for the kingdom. Bryson doesn’t have any other beliefs but that someday he will play for the Fairfield football team, Notre Dame, and the Cubs. He hasn’t put limits onto his potential, he believes that he can do it all. So why am I putting God in a box? Why don’t I believe that I can do incredible things for the Kingdom with my life? Why do I tell God, that I would have a hard time running and finishing; that I am not good with words, so God, you can’t use me? I need to throw off all of the barriers and excuses that I think I have and go for the homerun; the touchdown of what God has in store for me in this life.
Below are some verses that I am claiming for my life as I journey towards living free in Christ!

Exodus 4:10-12 (New Living Translation)
10 But Moses pleaded with the Lord, “O Lord, I’m not very good with words. I never have been, and I’m not now, even though you have spoken to me. I get tongue-tied, and my words get tangled.”
11 Then the Lord asked Moses, “Who makes a person’s mouth? Who decides whether people speak or do not speak, hear or do not hear, see or do not see? Is it not I, the Lord? 12 Now go! I will be with you as you speak, and I will instruct you in what to say.”
2 Corinthians 12:9 (New Living Translation)
9 Each time he said, “My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness.” So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me.
Matthew 6:33 (New Living Translation)
33 Seek the Kingdom of God[a] above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.
Hebrews 13:20-21 (New Living Translation)
20 Now may the God of peace— who brought up from the dead our Lord Jesus, the great Shepherd of the sheep, and ratified an eternal covenant with his blood— 21 may he equip you with all you need for doing his will. May he produce in you,[a] through the power of Jesus Christ, every good thing that is pleasing to him. All glory to him forever and ever! Amen
Joshua 1:9 (New Living Translation)
9 This is my command—be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid or discouraged. For the Lord your God is with you wherever you go.”


Blessings,

Lisa

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a sweet sensitive guy that Ty is! Absolutely precious.

Unknown said...

What an amazing mother you must be to have such an amazing and caring son!

Anonymous said...

Got tears reading this.. I admire u in so many ways... Love ur friendship..