Saturday, October 17, 2009

Mindless Eating

I love to read and a friend referred me to this book and I just finished it this morning. It is called Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink, PH.D. - Why we eat more than we think...

The book consists of research done by Dr. Brian at his lab. Some very amazing and interesting conclusions are talked about in this book. The main theme is the "mindless margin" This margin is the 100 more calories we consume daily mindlessly eating that will gain us 10 pounds a year and the 100 less calories we can consume each day by making some small changes in our eating to loss 10 pounds each year.

The average person has to makes over 200 decisions about food every day! Some we know breakfast or no breakfast, pop tart or bagel, kitchen or car.... but most of the decisions we cannot really explain.

I loved his quote that says "the best diet is the one we don't know we are on!" He states "to those who love food, a diet is pretty much 'die' with a 't' on the end! In fact, "diet" comes from a Latin words that means, a way of life."

I feel so consumed sometimes with all the decisions that I try to make each day to eat healthy. My desire is to have my diet just "be my way of life." If you are like me and have "dieted" all your life and struggle with losing weight, the idea of trying again to lose weight can be an overwhelming and depressing feeling. I found this book encouraging because it has simple and small ways that we can become more aware of that will help in this mindless margin.

He finished the book with a simple challenge of the Power of Three. Figuring out what three 100 calorie changes in your daily food routine would be the easiest for you to turn into mindlessly positive habits! It has challenged me to really think about what areas I consume those extra 100 calories that prevents me from successful weight loss.

This book is not about how to get fast and easy results like we all want. But as I believe in my heart but have to get in my head it is "a way of life" not a sudden and fast program. The more I work this into my life, these eating changes become habits and don't consume my every thought.

I encourage you to get the book or just to think of 3 situations/areas in your life that you could make a small change in how you eat and see what difference it can make for you!!

Blessings,

Lisa

2 comments:

Jessi said...

Just wanted to tell you I am so glad you decided to go public....I enjoy reading what is on your mind & heart...keep them coming!!=)

Anonymous said...

YOU are a beautiful woman inside and out!! ..with a heart of gold!
I encourage you as you begin this new endeavor! ~Kathryn